May 6, 2020

The Positives of Quarantine

It’s hard to believe, but we are going on our EIGHTH week of quarantine here in the Chicago suburbs.  Never in a million trillion years did I think the entire world would shut down, and yet, here we are.  It’s so easy to think about all the things we are missing during this stay at home time, however, I’ve actually found myself appreciating so many aspects of this surreal situation.

By far, the best part is being able to enjoy time with my teenagers.  Normally, my twins would be so busy with school, sports, and friends, that I would hardly ever see them.  Now, I get to enjoy little things like watching a movie or taking a drive or working on a puzzle with them.  My daughter and I have also been doing her soccer workouts together every day, which has been so much fun.  All these little bonding moments are so sacred to me because we only have one more year with them until they go off to college.

Beloved family dinners have also been a frequent event during quarantine.  I say “beloved” because before all this happened, Sunday nights were about the only time we could squeeze in a meal all together because of everyone’s hectic schedules.  But now, we are really appreciating all these meals together (even if it takes forever to agree on the menu!) and all the discussions that seem to come out of them.

I’ve also been able to observe my kids’ online schooling and see what creative thinkers they’ve become.  For example, my son had to come up with a lab for physics, and it was amazing to watch the wheels spinning in his head and to then witness his ideas come to fruition.  And my daughter had to make a video for her outdoor education class, and I was truly in awe at her resourcefulness.  I mean, seriously, how often do kids have to really use their imagination anymore these days?!  It’s been so cool to see!

Another bonus of staying at home has been daily walks with my husband.  Taking the dog for strolls around the neighborhood has been the closest we’ve come to having a date in the past couple of months, and as boring as that might sound, it’s actually been really sweet.  It’s given us a chance to talk and really catch up with each other.  And the dog is obviously a HUGE fan!

Reconnecting with old friends has also been a big gift.  I’ve had so many Zoom calls with my high school and college friends, and we’ve even had happy hours and game nights via Zoom with neighborhood friends.  I didn’t even know what Zoom was prior to this, and now it’s a part of my every day vocabulary!

Who knows what the future’s gonna bring, but my hope is that some day, we can look back and think of this time as some of our favorite memories as a family.  Choosing to focus on the positive rather than the negative is what has helped me keep my head up.  I am so grateful to have a roof over my head, for my husband to have a job that allows him to work from home, and to be able to put food on the table (even if it IS 10,000 times a day).  I encourage you to also count the little blessings in your life — trust me, they’re there.  You just have to look for them.

1. Dawn says:

Beautifully written blog post! Thank You for sharing, it seems to be hard to find the positive. I appreciate you!!!

• Jennifer says:

It’s definitely a scary time & can be easy to get stuck on the negative. I’ve decided to search for the blessings in all this because this is a rare time when I have my entire little family at home with me. Thanks so much for reading & I hope you can take comfort in your blessings too. 🙂

2. Jacquie Beaudette says:

Beautiful reminder to shift some of my focus to the positive during this time. Your blog post just reminded me to take my grateful journal out of my dresser drawer and remember all the good things that happened today ❤️

3. Big dose of Jeff says:

♥️♥️♥️

4. Heather says:

I appreciate your perspective and positivity.

5. Morry says:

What are those soccer workouts looking like??

6. Stephanie Adams says:

I’ve seen more kids outside in our neighborhood than ever before. Riding bikes with their families.
    I hope that continues once everything opens up again. I’ve also seen families cooking together at home instead of eating out. No one is rushing to sports for their kids….there is more time to talk. Kids are learning things like gardening, cooking, etc. that they may have never been taught had we not had this pandemic.

7. Joan Eafanti says:

Thanks Jen for sharing this positive note. I’m thankful that my husband is working from home. I now have had a realization of how tough his work is. So I’m glad he’s home at least 3 work days a week and he doesn’t have as many work distractions. We eat all those meals together. I’m thankful my oldest son and my daughter are able to work from home my second son is still working outside of the house full time but staying safe and healthy. My daughters husband is a police officer and he is still working. I’m both my husband and I have huge families and very fortunately everyone has stayed healthy through this so far. I miss my grand babies but I do talk to them often. Since my husband is home and working I have had to find some projects to work on. I’ve gotten a lot accomplished. I’m thankful everyday for all the people who are out there taking care of us. I pray for those who are suffering, lonely, hungry, I hope we all come out of this stronger, more caring and more loving to one another.

• Jennifer says:

Amen to all of that!!! I’m so glad your family has been together & healthy. Thanks for reading & for sharing your blessings too!